Educational and End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Scholarship
Emma L. Walker was the co-founders of All Kidney Patients Support Group (AKPSG), St Petersburg, FL. In 2006 she became a dialysis patient due to complications from heart surgery. Mrs. Walker did not let her weekly dialysis treatment slow her down. She loved to travel, visit family and friends but most importantly she loved to give back to her community. In 2009, Janice Starling-Williams and Emma Walker founded the St Petersburg All Kidney Patients Support Group, St. Petersburg, FL. The support group was created to offer assistance to kidney patients in the Tampa Bay Area at various stages of dialysis and transplantation. On May 30th, 2017 Emma unexpectedly passed away and one of the causes of her death was due to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). Although Emma is no longer with us she will always be remembered for the work she did for the community and patience facing (ESRD).
In Honor of their mother and her love for her community Emma's three daughters, Antionette L. Wiggins, Janice L. Grant and Kimberly A. Swain, would like to continue her work to support her community in the form of scholarship. Each year her daughters have committed to donating $1,000.00 to the AKPSG. The AKPSG will award the $1,000.00 donation in the form of an educational scholarship. There is no specific course of study required, and the money can be used in whatever way that student feels will benefit them the most. There will be two $500.00 scholarships awarded each school year. The scholarship will be awarded in August of each year beginning in 2017.
The recipient will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of five (5) members, three of her daughters and two members of AKPSG. The selection committee does not discriminate by age, race, color, national origin, disability, creed, or gender.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be at least 17 years of age Applicant or applicant's family member must be a renal patient
- Be a High School senior admitted to an accredited university or community college pursuing an undergraduate degree or be a Full time student attending an accredited university or community college pursuing an undergraduate (You must include a copy of your acceptance letter, signed commitment letter, or other documents showing commitment to attend)
- Have a cumulative GPA 2.5 or higher
- Can demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- Applicants may reapply; however, persons who have received this award may reapply and may be granted the award for a maximum of four years.
- Complete the Scholarship Application
- Write an essay of no fewer than 600 words